In conjunction with the conference theme of “Passion and Practice” we are featuring two moderated panels for participants to experience. Each panel will be composed of a curated group of working professionals whose practice reflects a range of perspectives and activities in, around, and with casting iron at its’ core. Each panel will be moderated and present opportunities for conference attendees to introduce questions to the group of experts for discussion.
Panel #1: Community Outreach & Iron Casting Outside of Academia
Moderator: Noah Kirby
This panel will explore the Passion and Practice of artists who generally work outside of Academia in Community Outreach, Commercial, or Not for Profit roles. Moderated by WCIAA board member Noah Kirby this panel will explore the role iron casting can play in building and supporting wide ranging notions of community. We will discuss salient issues surrounding the viability of casting iron with or without institutional support. We might even discuss the pragmatics of being a business or becoming your own 501c3. Our hope is this panel will offer conference attendees practical and inspirational information that will help add to the Passion for this Practice for all.
- Michal Staszczak, Vice-Rector, AC Professor, The Eugeniusz Geppert Academy of Art & Design in Wroclaw, Poland
- Laura Mullen-Vermilye, Host and Producer of The podCAST IRON
- Gabriel Akagawa, Foundry Tree Coordinator and Founder
- Alisa Toniato – Artist/Owner, FeLion Studios LLC
- James Vanderpool
- Jess Fuller
Panel #2: Hot topics with Biff: Cast Iron Performance
Moderator: Biff Ladlewarmer
This panel will take the form of a “Talk show” with special host Biff Ladlewarmer. Biff will Chat with invited guest artists whose practice demonstrates a passion for Cast Iron Performance. Guests will share with Biff and the “studio audience” anecdotes and stories about how the practice of casting iron has become so inextricably connected to various aspects of performance art. Biff will probe into our guest artists personal practice and tease out the nuance of why they do the things they do. Look for Biff to engage the studio audience, so come prepared with the questions you have always wanted to ask!
- Phen Sparkles
- Rich Stewart
- Bret Daniel
- Kurt Breshears, COO/Spirit Sculpture Garden & Makerspace
- Araan Schmidt, Associate Professor of Sculpture, Colorado Mesa University
- Marjee Levine, Visiting Assistant Professor, MassArt & President, Eutectic Arts (501c3)